Working in retirement - Married Women

Some married women still retain the right to pay a lower rate of contribution, 6.69 % of their earnings. If you still work, you should ask the local DWP office for advice as to whether it would be worth your while to revoke your right.

Ask them if you would have any right to a pension of your own at the age of sixty or could obtain a pension by paying some back contributions. Make sure that you get their advice in writing in case it turns out they advise you wrongly. If you want to revoke your right to pay lower contributions, obtain leaflet NI.1 from your local DWP office and fill in the form, CF.9, at the back of it.

Self employed

Many people who retire and work will do so only occasionally, either as a consultant for a fee or informally for cash. All this income is potentially taxable and should be declared to the Inland Revenue. Companies have to inform the Inland Revenue of the fees they pay and the people to whom they pay them.

If you intend to do such work regularly, it is well worth becoming self employed. You will then be able to offset many expenses against the income and, depending on when you choose the date of your financial year, you can pay your tax up to two years in arrears.

If you want to work but do not know quite what to do, you should ask yourself what you want to get out of work. If it is principally company, a sense of usefulness, or to combat a fear of stagnating at home rather than the financial reward, you could consider voluntary work.

However, be aware that voluntary work often means more than not being paid.

You may find that you are not only working for nothing, but also paying for petrol, stationery and telephone calls. Voluntary work of that sort is more like a hobby than a cost free, way of contributing to society.

More on Working in retirment

Organisations for help and Advice

Your local Age Concern or Citizens Advice Bureau may well know of opportunities, both paid and voluntary, for older people locally. They are both online
The Pre Retirement Association, 19 Undine Street, London SW17 6PP publishes a free leaflet, Work In Retirement, which lists organizations and agencies that will help you find work.
And the Year website of Recruitment and Employment Services, from the Federation of Employment and Recruitment Services; should be in your local library.
If you want to do voluntary work, you could get in touch with your local Council of Voluntary Service (or Volunteer Bureau) � find this in the phone website under `V'; or contact the National Association of Volunteer Bureaux, 89 Lower King's Road, Berkhamsted, Herts Community Service Volunteers run several . . . ... see: Organisations for help and Advice